Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Cami says Goodbye to Nags Head, N. Carolina! 


Cami and Sister Parker


Cami and the Spencers, some of our FAVORITE people! They are the ones who opened their homes and heart to the missionaries and invited Cami and her companion over to brunch, open gifts, be part of their family and to Skype at their house on Christmas Morning!

The Francis Girls at Church Jan 4th


Selfie with Brother Kelly!  


Cami with Sister Valdez who completed her mission and came home to Taylorsville yesterday!


Cami and the Hermanas after their last lesson together with one of their favorite people. 


Too cool to smile apparently! :)


Cami and families and people she has grown to love.



Duck Donuts! MMMmmmm!


Sister Bowen!

Hey Ya'll!

Sadly this is my last email coming from my beloved Nags Head! On Saturday I got the call from the mission President that I am going to be transferred to Poquoson, VA! Which is about 2 hours away from Nags Head. Two hours too far! Last week was great--two days in a row we volunteered at Endless Possibilities in Manteo. The last time we volunteered, we wove rugs and these past 2 times we learned how to put the string through the loom which is a super long process but it was a cool experience to learn how to do that! Whoever came up with those loom things was a geniussssss. I am feeling a little sad that I am leaving Nags Head because I have been here so long, have sooooo many memories, have made lifelong friends, and that is always hard to let go of. It's kind of like saying goodbye to my family all over again. I am going to miss the ward and people here so much. I feel like I have everything figured out here and know all the inns and outs - which is probably why I am being transferred because Heavenly Father needs me a little bit more out of my comfort zone! ;) But I know that there are such good things waiting for me in the future! I am so grateful that I have gained that trust in my Heavenly Father to know that wherever I am called is where He needs to be and it feels so good to know that I can just trust and follow him and he will take care of me and take me where i need to be! I have today and tomorrow here in Nags head and then early in the morning on Wednesday is when I will be hittin the road! Yesterday in sacrament I had the opportunity to bear my testimony and express my gratitude publicly to the ward and to my heavenly father for giving me the opportunity to serve here and for all of the love and support I have felt! I feel truly blessed. I told everyone it wasn't goodbye because I am going to be back very soon to visit! In my new area my companion is named Sister Barfuss. It is a half biking half driving area so I will be on bike one week and in a car the other! I can already tell that this transfer is going to be full of change and new things but I am more than willing and so excited! I love any opportunity I have to serve and love others! So I am excited to see what the Lord has in store for me. thank you for all the love and support! :) BRING ON 2015!!!

Much love, Sister C

Cami's new address is:  

Sister Cami Carlson
547 Wythe Creek Rd. Appt. 22A
Poquoson, VA 23662

Good bye beach house, hello apartment living!  I did a little research on her area and here's what I found out in a nutshell:

Population 12,150 with surrounding York county. (The population of Nags Head was only like 2,700 or something like that!) It became a town in 1952 and an independent city in 1975. Average temp 72 degrees, unemployment rate of 4.5%. It is one of the oldest continuously named cities in Virginia.  It was named by the Native Americans and means ‘Great Marsh’. The Native Americans were hostile toward the early settlers there. The area is 75% Republican and 24% Democrat. The city has a total area of 78 square miles, of which 15 square miles is land and 63 square miles (80.4%) is water. It looks like Cami's apartment is about a block from the water.  It is south of the usual path of storms originating in the higher latitudes, and north of the usual tracks of hurricanes and other major tropical storms. (comforting for me!) However, when in the path of a storm the City of Poquoson is subject to severe flooding due to its very low elevation above sea level. (Not so comforting!) I’m guessing most people are attached to tourists and the fishing industry?  It looks like there is a fun Seafood Festival in October. 




No comments:

Post a Comment